Total Time: 3:00
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling (see Cook’s Note)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, separated
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled, then halved or quartered depending on the size (about 1-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
When measuring flour, we spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the excess. (Scooping directly from the bag compacts the flour, resulting in dry baked goods.)
- Pulse the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor until combined.
- Add the butter and pulse until it resembles coarse meal mixed with pea-size bits of butter, 10 to 15 times.
- Add the egg mixture and pulse until the dough just starts to come together, about 10 times.
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, using the plastic to help form it into a disk. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Whisk together the cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla, egg yolk and salt in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator, about 45 minutes.
- Toss the strawberries, cornstarch and remaining 1/3 cup sugar together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and place a rimmed baking sheet on it. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the dough lightly with flour on both sides and roll out on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch round that is about 1/8-inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment and place on an inverted baking sheet.
- Spread about 1 cup of the cream cheese mixture over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border on all sides.
- Place the strawberry mixture in the center of the cream cheese and spread into an even layer over the filling.
- Dollop the remaining cream cheese mixture over the strawberries. Fold the edges of the dough over the filling, pleating as needed.
- Brush the crust with the egg white and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Slide the galette and parchment paper onto the preheated baking sheet and bake until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving, about 30 minutes.